The COVID-19 pandemic presents a two-fold challenge in Africa: curbing the spread of the coronavirus, whilst also maintaining access to essential health services for those suffering from other diseases. As COVID-19 requires an immediate response, it is crucial that health services are protected and progress in tackling issues such as malaria, immunization, neglected tropical diseases and inadequate access to sanitation is not compromised.
Stay Safe Africa Objectives
– Unite multiple sectors in pan-African response to the pandemic;
– Create a mass media, digital communications and advocacy campaign using influential figures to deliver key preventative messages;
– Support the African Union and Africa CDC in mobilizing resources for the Africa COVID-19 Response Fund.
– Virtual bridges: connecting African policy-makers, implementers and the general public: A series of online conversations to address good practices and policy shifts that may affect how our communities, public health systems and service providers respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. This series of webinars examine the implications of COVID-19 for the SDGs, as well as make recommendations based on proven facts.
– #ShowOffYourMask: Over 500 face masks and flyers delivered to Special Olympics Senegal’s athletes, in partnership with Senegalese fashion designer Sarah Diouf’s brand Tongoro, supported by the #ShowOffYourMask social media challenge.
– Cool notice: A series of vibrant “Cool Notices” graphic illustrations for well-known personalities to post online to share critical preventive messages to a digital youth audience. The illustrations feature their likeliness and messages that play off their lyrics and catchphrases.
– Keep clean: 300 cost-effective handwashing stations installed in Senegalese schools, in partnership with the World Food Programme, Le Groupe des Amis de l’Alimentation Scolaire (GAASS) and Senegal’s Ministry of Education.
– Stay connected: A bi-weekly coverage tracker powered by Globesight highlighting the latest news and analysis on the COVID-19 pandemic across Africa.
– African Media Agency
– Confédération Africaine de Football (CAF)
– Ecobank Foundation
– Groupe des Amis de l’Alimentation Scolaire
– Special Olympics Senegal
Learn more at www.staysafeafrica.org