Strategic Communications Officer
Headquartered in Dakar, Senegal, Speak Up Africa is a Policy and Advocacy Action Tank dedicated to catalyzing leadership, enabling policy change, and increasing awareness for sustainable development in Africa. Through our platforms and relationships and with the help of our partners, we ensure that policy makers meet implementers, that solutions are showcased and that every sector contributes critically to the dialogue and strives to form the blueprints for concrete action for sustainable development – from individual citizens and civil society groups to global donors and business leaders.
The position is based in Dakar, Senegal, with possible travel according to the needs of the projects.
Roles and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Strategic Communications Manager, the Communications Officer shall be responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of the external and internal communication and media strategies of Speak Up Africa, including through the website, social media, newsletters, and knowledge management. More specifically, the Communications Officer will:
- Materials development and coordination:
- Draft and update of institutional communications materials including impact report drafting and update of institutional documents and materials (including printed)
- Facilitate the coordination with communications consultants including administrative procedures and tracking of deliverables.
- Draft the terms of reference of Speak Up Africa’s updated institutional video and other key tools, including the creation of a retro-planning, hiring of a production company and follow-up of the budget.
- Champion’s engagement:
- Support the elaboration of champions’ engagement strategy by designing briefs and social media assets and messages, aligned with engagement plans developed by the Strategic Communications Manager.
- In collaboration with the Policy and Research Officer, develop tools to support the tracking and monitoring of champions’ engagement.
- Institutional online presence and knowledge management:
- Coordinate, with the Creative Content Manager, to maintain digital archives including photos, videos, and waivers.
- Coordinate with Speak Up Africa’s Creative Content Manager and program’s team to update and support the migrations of Speak Up Africa online platforms.
- In coordination with Policy and Research Officer, capitalize and establish lessons learned on internal and external communications.
- Monthly reporting to the Strategic Communications manager.
- Voix EssentiELLES:
- Support the development and implement the Voix EssentiELLES communications strategy and liaise with community-based organizations to amplify their actions online while drafting reports designed for the donors.
- Monitor and evaluate impact of communication and visibility materials to target audiences.
- Support the production and post-production of the Voix EssentiELLES capitalization video.
- African LeadHERs:
- Support the implementation and monitoring of Speak Up Africa’s flagship campaign on gender equality.
- Youth & Sports for Development (Council):
- Support the drafting of the strategy and edification of the Council including research and evidence-base arguments.
Editorial calendar and overall external communications
- Draft Speak Up Africa’s newsletters including gathering information from the programmatic communications’ team and compiling of links, creative and multimedia content, and strategic communications updates.
- Social media:
- In collaboration with Communications Program Officer, develop and integrate social media strategy and calendar for Speak Up Africa’s platforms, ensuring growth of audience and engagement and tracking analytics/creating reports detailing successes and failures of online communications campaigns.
- Create editorial content (stories, photos, advocacy images, audio, video, info graphics, etc.) in cooperation with the relevant department and adapt for media pitching, web and social media, posting accordingly to respective channels.
- Media relations and strategy, in support of the Media Relations Officer:
- Facilitate liaison with media contacts at national and regional level including supporting the activation the Speak Up Africa WhatsApp media group.
- Support the implementation and follow-up of Speak Up Africa’s « Lines of Impact » initiative.
- A master’s degree in communications, public information, social sciences or related field is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively within a team.
- Strong communication skills and experience working in multidisciplinary and multilingual teams
- Developed understanding of needs of media and public audiences, preferably with NGO relevant approach.
- Strong organizational, synthesis, reporting and social media skills.
- Outstanding article-writing and editing skills.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.) and the usual practice of desktop and electronic communication tools and software
- Proven technical knowledge of a wide range of multimedia, web and digital tools is required, including MailChimp, SurveyMonkey and Drupal.
- Perfect understanding and writing skills in English and French are mandatory.
Please send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org and to email@example.com