Programs Communications Officer
Headquartered in Dakar, Senegal, Speak Up Africa is a Policy and Advocacy Action Tank dedicated to catalyzing leadership, enabling policy change, and increasing awareness for sustainable development in Africa. Through our platforms and relationships and with the help of our partners, we ensure that policy makers meet implementers, that solutions are showcased and that every sector contributes critically to the dialogue and strives to form the blueprints for concrete action for sustainable development from individual citizens and civil society groups to global donors and business leaders.
Commitment to Gender Equality and Safeguarding
Speak Up Africa has a Zero Tolerance approach to all forms of harm and abuse. Speak Up Africa is committed to taking appropriate action against human rights violations and exploitation in all its forms. The welfare and safety of all stakeholders is prioritized in all actions and decisions of Speak Up Africa. Appropriate policies and procedures are in place to ensure this. Only those who share our values and are committed to our Safeguarding Policy shall be considered for recruitment.
Speak Up Africa also promotes efforts on gender equality in line with its strategic directions and institutional values, which are themselves organized around the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). We encourage our institutional and business partners to commit to the achievement of SDG 5 in line with our institutional strategy.
Roles and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Advocacy Manager, the Programs Communications Officer shall be responsible for developing and implementing Speak Up Africa’s programs (NTD’s, Sanitation, CSO’s, Immunization, GHR&D) communication including through the website, social media, newsletters, and briefings, archives and knowledge management. S/He will also be accountable for the internal communication within programmatic interventions. More specifically, the Programs Communications Officer will:
In collaboration with the Media Relations Officer, support and inform the implementation of Speak Up Africa’s « Lines of Impact » initiative in alignment with programmatic communications opportunities and deliverables.
Program Communication Implementation
- Coordinate with Speak Up Africa Advocacy and Creative Content Manager in developing project specific communication and visibility materials, and follow up on project related communication implementation, in compliance with donor requirements.
- Contribute to the design of the Advocacy program.
- Suggest activities and events in line with the programmatic objectives.
- Develop programmatic communication plan.
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of communication and visibility materials to target audiences in liaison with the programmatic team by updating, on a monthly basis, the communications monitoring and evaluation tracker.
- Coordinate with the program officer and strategic communications team to make sure we have a comprehensive and overall holistic approach to communicating.
- Propose efficient communication strategy that feeds into the strategic/institutional mission.
- Contribute to fulfill the communication indicators in program’s database.
Identify and support the programmatic champions engagement strategy in collaboration with the program officers and the responsible communication senior.
- The Programs Communication Officer will coordinate with the program officer to create content, in collaboration with the strategic communications team to develop an editorial calendar.
- Contribute to internal and external social media capacity building programs as appropriate.
- Support the Media relation officer in coordinating programmatic media amplification.
- Coordinate, with the Creative Content Manager, to maintain digital media archives including photos, videos and waivers.
- Produce a monthly communication report highlighting key activations per program.
- Support program officers in the production of the quarterly report to donors ensuring major communication metrics are properly accounted for.
- A master’s degree in communications, public information, social sciences or related field is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively within a team.
- Strong communication skills and experience working in multidisciplinary and multilingual teams.
- Developed understanding of needs of media and public audiences, preferably with NGO relevant approach.
- Strong organizational, synthesis, reporting and social media skills.
- Outstanding article-writing and editing skills.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.) and the usual practice of desktop and electronic communication tools and software.
- Proven technical knowledge of a wide range of multimedia, web and digital tools is required, including MailChimp, SurveyMonkey and Drupal.
- Perfect command of English and French is mandatory.
- The position is based in Dakar, Senegal, with possible travel according to the needs of the projects.
Documents to be Supplied
- A detailed and up to date resume.
- Application letter.
- 3 References.