Headquartered in Dakar, Senegal, Speak Up Africa is a Policy and Advocacy Action Tank dedicated to catalyzing leadership, enabling policy change, and increasing awareness for sustainable development in Africa. Through our platforms and relationships and with the help of our partners, we ensure that policy makers meet implementers, that solutions are showcased and that every sector contributes critically to the dialogue and strives to form the blueprints for concrete action for sustainable development – from individual citizens and civil society groups to global donors and business leaders.
Roles and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Strategic Communications Manager, the Communications Officer shall be responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of the external and internal communication and media strategies of Speak Up Africa, including through the website, social media, newsletters, press contacts and briefings, archives and knowledge management. More specifically, the Communications Officer will:
- Media relations and strategy:
- Support the development of a media strategy and update Speak Up Africa’s media database.
- Facilitate liaison with media contacts at national and regional level including activating the Speak Up Africa WhatsApp media group.
- Implement Speak Up Africa’s « Lines of Impact » project.
- Liaison with Speak Up Africa’s programs team:
- Coordinate with Speak Up Africa programmatic team in developing project specific communication and visibility materials, and follow up on project related communication implementation, in compliance with donor requirements.
- Monitor and evaluate impact of communication and visibility materials to target audiences in liaison with the programmatic team;
- Monthly reporting to the Strategic Communications manager.
- Champions’ engagement: Support the elaboration of champions’ engagement and facilitate champions’ engagement and relations.
- Website: Coordinate with Speak Up Africa’s press relations agency to develop, update and improve Speak Up Africa’s website and campaign platforms.
- Social media: Develop social media content for Speak Up Africa’s platforms, ensuring growth of audience and engagement and tracking analytics/creating reports detailing successes and failures of online communications campaigns.
- Archives: Coordinate, with the Creative Content Manager, to maintain digital media archives including photos, videos and waivers.
- Knowledge management: Capitalize and establish lessons learned on internal and external communications.
- A master’s degree in communications, public information, social sciences or related field is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively within a team.
- Strong communication skills and experience working in multidisciplinary and multilingual teams.
- Developed understanding of needs of media and public audiences, preferably with NGO relevant approach.
- Strong organizational, synthesis, reporting and social media skills.
- Outstanding article-writing and editing skills.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.) and the usual practice of desktop and electronic communication tools and software.
- Proven technical knowledge of a wide range of multimedia, web and digital tools is required, including MailChimp, SurveyMonkey and Drupal.
- Perfect command of English and French is mandatory.
Documents to be Supplied
The position is based in Dakar, Senegal, with possible travel to the West African countries according to the needs of the projects.
Please send your applications to email@example.com or to Maelle.firstname.lastname@example.org