Speak Up Africa (SUA) is a Policy and Advocacy Action Tank dedicated to catalyzing leadership, enabling policy change, and increasing awareness for sustainable development in Africa Through our platforms and relationships and with the help of our partners, we ensure that policy makers meet implementers; that solutions are showcased and that every sector– from individual citizens and civil society groups to global donors and business leaders — contributes critically to the dialogue and strives to form the blueprints for concrete action for public health and sustainable development.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Advocacy Manager will be responsible for the design, coordination and monitoring of Speak Up Africa’s advocacy and strategic communications programs. The Advocacy Manager shall focus on Speak Up Africa’s sanitation, immunization, civil society engagement and Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTD) portfolios.
More specifically, the Advocacy Manager will:
- Update and manage Speak Up Africa’s gender, sanitation, immunization, civil society engagement and NTD programs’ strategies and logical frameworks, including clear outputs and indicators to monitor its implementation.
- Develop and monitor the above-mentioned programs’ timelines, strategies including milestones.
- Supervise the work of Speak Up Africa’s Program Officers working on sanitation, immunization, civil society engagement and NTDs.
- Oversee the implementation of SUA’s integrated approach.
- Act as a focal point for program activities highlighted in Speak Up Africa’s project management tool.
- Contribute to Speak Up Africa’s learning agenda with regular briefs and updates on the lay of the land.
- Support the implementation of Speak Up Africa’s programs as requested by the Programs Director.
- Act as Speak Up Africa’s focal point for advocacy-related activities in Niger.
- Oversee the development and implementation of Speak Up Africa’s advocacy interventions in Niger.
- Liaise with Program Officers and consultants to ensure the timely production of monthly and annual reports on issue areas including achievements, challenges and impact.
- Coordinate knowledge management efforts for sanitation, immunization, civil society engagement and NTDs, including the identification of communications and advocacy tools and activity/impact documentation.
- Support the Programs Director in the design of periodic reports to key stakeholders including donors.
- Monitor and evaluate programs’ implementation to meet performance indicators, targets and milestones.
- A master’s degree in social sciences, public health, international development or similar fields is required.
- Proven experience in project management in areas such as public health and sustainable development.
- Strong communication skills and experience working in multidisciplinary and multilingual teams.
- Willingness and ability to travel (up to 30%).
- Strong organizational, synthesis and reporting skills.
- Perfect command of English and French mandatory.
- Expertise in working with the media, including ability to draft opinion pieces, prepare media releases, brief journalists, promote stories, coordinate large-scale media drives, and effectively integrate social media into campaign strategies.
- Expertise in implementing advocacy strategies, including the ability to draft advocacy plans, prepare according action and monitoring plans.
- Ability to coordinate teams working in the implementation of public health and sustainable development projects.
- Ability to build genuine partnerships with civil society groups to ensure their expertise drives and determines the nature of our work.
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships with sub-national, national, regional and international partners such ministries, national programs, implementing partners and donor organizations.
- The drive and initiative necessary to take ideas forward to fruition in a coalition setting.
- Excellent project management and administrative skills and a high level of organization.
- Ability to work as a collegiate member of a small team, and with minimal supervision.
Commitment to Gender Equality and Safeguarding
Speak Up Africa has a Zero Tolerance approach to all forms of harm and abuse. Speak Up Africa is committed to taking appropriate action against human rights violations and exploitation in all its forms. The welfare and safety of all stakeholders is prioritized in all actions and decisions of Speak Up Africa. Appropriate policies and procedures are in place to ensure this. Only those who share our values and are committed to our Safeguarding Policy shall be considered for recruitment.
Speak Up Africa also promotes efforts on gender equality in line with its strategic directions and institutional values, which are themselves organized around the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). We encourage our institutional and business partners to commit to the achievement of SDG 5 in line with our institutional strategy.
Documents to be Supplied
Applicants should submit their CV (including 3 professional references) and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please specify the position title in subject.
The closing date for applications is: October 16, 2022.