Description : Full Time
Speak Up Africa is a Policy and Advocacy Action Tank dedicated to catalyzing leadership, enabling policy change, and increasing awareness for sustainable development in Africa. Through our platforms and relationships and with the help of our partners, we ensure that policy makers meet implementers; that solutions are showcased and that every sector – from individual citizens and civil society groups to global donors and business leaders – contributes critically to the dialogue and strives to form the blueprints for concrete action for public health and sustainable development.
The Policy & Research Officer will work under the supervision of the Deputy Executive Director and in close collaboration with the Programs Department. The Policy & Research Officer will help to inform and influence Speak Up Africa’s program design and implementation by being the integrated link between policy and research, especially in the areas of sanitation and neglected tropical diseases. Key aspects of the position are as follows:
1. Advise Program Officers and the entire team on developments in advocacy, public policy, legislation, best practice, and relevant new initiatives in the field of public health and sustainable development goals 1 to 6, and more specifically in the sanitation and neglected tropical diseases fields.
– Draft clear, well researched, policy briefings for both internal and external use.
– Produce publications such as reports with clear findings and recommendations, policy briefings and factsheets.
– Keep up to date with developments in public policy, legislation, best practice, and relevant new initiatives in the sanitation and neglected tropical diseases fields.
– Produce external policy briefings, letters and other campaigning material to Speak Up Africa’s key audiences such as donors, Ministries, Parliamentarians, and other stakeholders informing them of our work, with updates and briefings on key campaigning issues including drafting updates for the relevant sections of our website.
– Attend events on key sustainable development issues and participate in policy-related events as agreed.
2. Use his/her day-to-day policy knowledge and experience to carry out research, to monitor policy developments to inform issues relating to sanitation and neglected tropical diseases in Africa.
– Carry out primary and secondary research to inform Speak Up Africa’s expertise in advocacy for sanitation and neglected tropical diseases.
– Undertake strategic analysis of research needs and make recommendations that can inform Speak Up Africa’s strategic actions.
– Work closely with the rest of the team and key external stakeholders to develop integrated and comprehensive documentation on issues at stake.
1. Competent researcher, with a good understanding of practical research methods, and the ability to use a range of research techniques at a high standard.
2. Clear and accurate communication skills, in writing and orally with colleagues and partners in French and English.
3. The ability to organize and prioritize their own work, and to work in different teams.
4. A higher degree in a social science discipline with evidence of significant understanding of public health and interest in sustainable development issues.
Please send your applications to email@example.com or fill the form below.